Complete repair of ASD often requires the use of different type of patches (synthetic, autologous or xenopericardium). Despite the fact that surgical technic is standard for decades, certain complications, such us atrial thrombus formation could still take place. This report presents our first clinical case of successful left atrium thrombus removal with the simultaneous mitral valve re-plasty in patient undergoing complete PAVС correction.
1. Galal M.O., Wobst A., Halees Z., Hatle L., Schaltz A.A.,
Khougeer F. et al. Perioperative complications following surgical
closure of atrial septal defect type II in 232 patients –
a baseline study. Eur. Heart J. 1994; 15: 1381–4.
2. Neethling W.M.L., Strange G., Firth L., Smit F.E. Evaluation of
a tissue-engineered bovine pericardial patch in paediatric
patients with congenital cardiac anomalies: initial experience
with the ADAPT-treated CardioCel® patch. Interact.
Cardiovasc. Thorac. Surg. 2013; 17: 698–703.
3. Hemati N., Poormotaabed A., Dabiri S., Sabzi F. Acute left atrial
thrombus formation on resected residual cribriform septum
after atrial septal defect surgery. J. Teh. Univ. Heart Ctr. 2015;
10 (2): 109–12.
4. Di Eusanio M., Schepens M.A.A.M. Left atrial thrombus on a
teflon patch for ASD closure. Eur. J. Cardiothorac. Surg.
2002; 21 (3): 542.
5. Pok S., Jacot J.G. Biomaterials advances in patches for congenital
heart defect repair. J. Cardiovasc. Trans. Res. 2011; 4:
6. Disli O.M., Erdil N., Akca B., Otlu Y.O., Battaloglu B. Large
thrombus formation from right atrial incision site after closure
of atrial septal defect. Korean Circ. J. 2013; 43: 842–4.
7. Sheikh A.Y., Schrepfer S., Stein W., West J., Lombard J.,
Burdon T. at al. Right atrial mass after primary repair of an atrial
septal defect: Thrombus masquerading as a myxoma. Ann.
Thorac. Surg. 2007; 84: 1742–4.
8. Dinckal M.H., Davutoglu V., Soydinc S., Akdemir I., Aksoy M.
Large thrombus at the site of primary sutured atrial septal
defect associated with pulmonary embolism and treatment by
thrombolysis authors. Echocardiography. 2003; 20: 535–8.