Aim: to analyze retrospectively immediate and long-term results of infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) repair with the AnacondaTM endovascular graft.
Material and methods. The results of infrarenal AAAs stenting with the AnacondaTM graft (Vascutek Ltd, Terumo Aortic, UK) from 2014 to 2021 in 18 patients aged from 60 to 80 (median 71) years high surgical risk were analyzed. The mean AAA diameter was 5.93±0.14 (5–6.8) cm. All patients met the anatomical criteria for endovascular treatment.
Results. Technical success was 100% with null 30-day mortality. No cardiac and respiratory complications were registered in the early postoperative. One intraoperative complication – type IIIA endoleak associated with insufficient sealing between the graft branch and aorta was diagnosed during follow-up angiography and was corrected by additional coated stent placing into the graft branch. Surgical site complication – subcutaneous hematoma – were observed in four (22.2%) patients. In the early postoperative period, one thrombosis of the graft branch was detected. After thrombectomy and restenting the blood flow was restored. In the 2-year follow-up thrombosis of the prosthesis branch was diagnosed in another patient, caused by aggravating stenosis of the deep femoral artery (DFA) and occlusion of the superficial femoral arteries. The patient underwent an endarterectomy from the DFA orifice with femorofemoral bypass. During the 60-month follow-up two patients died from causes not related with AAA. No graft migrations were detected. Overall 5-year survival was 70.7%.
Conclusion. Infrarenal AAA endovascular grafting with the AnacondaTM is safe and effective method for AAA correcting in elderly patients with significant comorbidities.
- Bockeria L.A., Pokrovsky A.V., Abugov S.A., Alekyan B.G., Arakelyan V.S., Belov Yu.V. et al. National guidelines for the management of patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm (Russian Consensus Document). Angiology and Vascular Surgery. 2013; 19 (2, Suppl.): 1–72 (in Russ.).
- Bockeria L.A., Belov Yu.V., Khabulava G.G., Skopin I.I., Arakelyan V.S., Abugov S.A. et al. Clinical guidelines. Recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of aortic diseases (2017). Kardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2018; 11 (1): 5–68 (in Russ.).
- Becquemin J.P., Haupert S., Issam F., Dubar A., Martelloni Y., Jousset Y., Sauguet A. Five year patient outcomes of endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair in the ENDURANT France Registry. Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 2021; 61 (1): 98–105. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2022.03.003
- Chaikof E.L., Dalman R.L., Eskandari M.K., Jackson B.M., Lee W.A., Mansour M.A. et al. The Society for Vascular Surgery practice guidelines on the care of patients with an abdominal aortic aneurysm. J. Vasc. Surg. 2018; 67 (1): 1: 2–77. DOI: 10.1016/j.jvs.2017.10.044
- Wanhainen A., Verzini F., Herzeele I. V., Allaire E., Bown M., Cohnert. et al. European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS) 2019 Clinical practice guidelines on the management of abdominal aorto-iliac artery aneurysms. Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 2018; 1–97. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2018.09.020
- Steffen M., Schmitz-Rixen T., Jung G., Bockler D., Grundmann R.T. Der DIGG-Risikoscore: Ein Vorhersagemodell der perioperativen Sterblichkeit bei elektiver Versorgung des intakten Bauchaortenaneurysmas im DIGGRegister. Chirurg. 2019; 90 (11): 913–20. DOI: 10.1007/s00104-019-0968-3
- Powell J.T., Sweeting M.J., Greenhalgh R.M., Ulug P, Blankensteijn J.D., Lederle F.A. et al. Meta-analysis of individual-patient data from EVAR-1, DREAM, OVER and ACE trials comparing out-comes of endovascular or open repair for abdominal aortic aneurysm over 5 years. Br. J. Surg. 2017; 104: 166–78. DOI: 10.1002/bjs.10430
- Blankensteijn J.D., de Bruin J., Grobbee R., Prinssen M., van Sambeek M., van Schaik T.G. et al. Very long-term follow-up (12–15 years) of the Dutch Randomized Endovascular Aneurysm repair Management (DREAM) trial. J. Vasc. Surg. 2016; 63, 65 Abs. 1435. DOI: 10.1016/J.JVS.2016.03.248
- Zvereva E.D., Komakha B.B., Zverev D.A., Gordeev M.L. Results of a single-center study of open and endovascular prosthetics of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Angiology and Vascular Surgery. 2018; 24 (4): 126–30 (in Russ.).
- Krashenin D.V., Yartsev S.E., Gavrilko A.D., Polyakov A.M. Stenting of a stent-graft branch in its acute occlusion after endovascular intervention for an abdominal aortic aneurysm. Angiology and Vascular Surgery. 2018; 24 (4): 159–68 (in Russ.).
- Gallitto E., Faggioli G., Mascoli C. Spath P., Pini R., Ricco J.-B. et al. Long-term efficacy of EVAR in patients aged less than 65 years with an infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm and favorable anatomy. Ann. Vasc. Surg. 2020; 67: 283–92. DOI: 10.1016/j.avsg.2020.03.038
- Polyakov R.S., Abugov S.A., Puretskiy M.V., Saakyan Yu.M., Charchyan E.R., Polyakov K.V. et al. Endoprosthetics of the abdominal aorta in patients with infrarenal aneurysm and unfavorable anatomy of its proximal neck. Angiology and Vascular Surgery. 2015; 21 (4): 79–87 (in Russ.).
- Geraedts A.C.M., Mulay S., Vahl A., Wisselink W., Koelemay M.J.W., Balm R. Secondary interventions and longterm follow-up after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann. Vasc. Surg. 2021; 71: 381–91. DOI: 10.1016/j.avsg.2020.07.042
- Charisis N., Bouris V., Conway A.M., Labropoulos N. A systematic review and pooled meta-analysis on the incidence and temporal occurrence of type II endoleak following an abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann. Vasc. Surg. 2021: S0890-5096(21)00137-0. DOI: 10.1016/j.avsg.2021.01.083
- Kuchin I.V., Imaev T.E., Lepilin P.M., Kolegaev F.S., Medvedeva I.S., Komlev A.E. et al. Current state of the problem of endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms of infrarenal localization. Angiology and Vascular Surgery. 2018; 24 (3): 60–6 (in Russ.).
- Chupin A.V., Deryabin S.V., Chigasov V.A. Embolization of the internal iliac artery during endoprosthetics of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Angiology and Vascular Surgery. 2019; 25 (4): 76–82 (in Russ.).
- Shahverdyan R., Gray D., Gawenda M., Brunkwall J. Single centre results of total endovascular repair of complex aortic aneurysms with custom made Anaconda fenestrated stent grafts. Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 2016; 1–9. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2016.07.005
About the authors
- Vadim V. Kungurtsev, Dr. Med. Sci., Professor, Consultant in Cardiovascular Surgery; ORCID
- Nataliya R. Chernaya, Leading Researcher; ORCID
- Evgeniy V. Kungurtsev, Dr. Med. Sci., Leading Researcher; ORCID
- Vasiliy I. Sidorenko, Dr. Med. Sci., Professor, Head of Department; ORCID
- Aleksandr Yu. Nekrasov, Dr. Med. Sci., Professor, Head of Department; ORCID
- Tat’yana A. Logunova, Head of Department; ORCID
- Svetlana S. Zav’yalova, Physician of Department; ORCID