The subject of the case report is a difficult case for diagnosis and treatment of prosthetic aortic valve endocarditis caused by a rare
microrganism nontuberculous Mycobacterium сhelonae. Described the history of the disease, an illuminated surgical technique
operations, also presented the findings of the survey 3 months after surgery. In the discussion section lit of the available experience
in the treatment and diagnosis of endocarditis caused by non-tuberculous mycobacteria. These bacteria have a high natural resistance
to existing antibiotics and is not susceptible to specific antimicrobial therapy. Treatment of mycobacteriosis tuberculosis and
antibacterial drugs should be long (year or more), combined and requires a lot of attention from the attending physicians.
1. Strabelli T.M., Siciliano R.F., Castelli J.B. Mycobacterium chelonae
valve endocarditis resulting from contaminated biological
prostheses. J. Infect. 2010; 60: 467–73.
2. Wallace R.J., Jr., Brown B.A., Onyi G.O. Skin, soft tissue, and
bone infections due to Mycobacterium chelonae: importance
of prior corticosteroid therapy, frequency of disseminated
infections, and resistance to oral antimicrobials other than
clarithromycin. J. Infect. Dis. 1992; 166: 405–12.
3. Jagadeesan N., Patra S., Singh A.P., Nagesh C.M., Reddy B.,
Badnur S.C. et al. Spontaneous endocarditis caused by rapidly
growing non-tuberculous Mycobacterium chelonae in an
immunocompetent patient with rheumatic heart disease.
J. Cardiovasc. Dis. Res. 2013; 4 (4): 254–6.
4. Shi-Min Yuan. Mycobacterial endocarditis: a comprehensive
review. Braz. J. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2015; 30 (1): 93–103.
5. Jarand J., Levin A., Zhang L., Huitt G., Mitchell J.D.,
Daley C.L. Clinical and microbiologic outcomes in patients
receiving treatment for Mycobacterium abscessus pulmonary
disease. Clin. Infect. Dis. 2011; 52 (5): 565–71.
6. Шевченко Ю.Л. Хирургическое лечение инфекционного
эндокардита и основы гнойно-септической хирургии. М.:
Династия; 2015. [Shevchenko Yu.L. Surgical treatment of
infective endocarditis and the foundations of purulent-septic
surgery. Мoscow: Dinastiya; 2015 (in Russ.).]
About the authors
- Muratov Ravil' Muratovich, Dr. Med. Sc., Professor, Cardiovascular Surgeon, orcid.org/0000-0003-3321-9028;
- Babenko Svetlana Ivanovna, Cand. Med. Sc., Cardiologist, orcid.org/0000-0002-2621-4504;
- achkov Anton Sergeevich, Cand. Med. Sc., Cardiovascular Surgeon, orcid.org/0000-0002-7796-4292;
- Soboleva Natal'ya Nikolaevna, Cand. Med. Sc., Ultrasonic Diagnostics Physician; Khodareva Natal'ya Nikolaevna, Cand. Med. Sc., Radiologist