Infection of composite aortic valve prostheses used to replace the aortic valve and ascending aorta in the Bentall–de Bono procedure is considered a serious surgical problem due to the extensive involvement of the periprosthetic tissue. A successful case of treatment of an aortic root abscess using a cryopreserved allograft is presented. During the intervention, a radical elimination of infection was performed. The patient was discharged on the 17th day after surgical treatment.
- Joo H.C., Chang B.C., Youn Y.N., Yoo K.J., Lee S. Clinical experience with the Bentall procedure: 28 years. Yonsei Med. J. 2012; 53 (5): 915–23. DOI: 10.3349/YMJ.2012.53.5.915
- Machelart I., Greib C., Wirth G., Camou F., Issa N., Viallard J.F. et al. Graft infection after a Bentall procedure: A case series and systematic review of the literature. Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 2017; 88 (2): 158–62. DOI: 10.1016/J.DIAGMICROBIO.2017.03.002
- Sponga S., Mauro M., Malvindi P.G., Paparella D., Murana G., Pacini D. et al. Surgery for Bentall endocarditis: short- and midterm outcomes from a multicentre registry. Eur. J. Cardiothorac. Surg. 2020; 58 (4): 839–46. DOI: 10.1093/ EJCTS/EZAA136
- Bianco V., Kilic A., Gleason T.G., Arnaoutakis G.J., Sultan I. Management of thoracic aortic graft infections. J. Card. Surg. 2018; 33 (10): 658–65. DOI: 10.1111/JOCS.13792
- Chan K.L. Early clinical course and long-term outcome of patients with infective endocarditis complicated by perivalvular abscess. Can. Med. Assoc. J. 2002; 167 (1): 19.
- Vogt P.R., Khubulava G.G., Marchenko S.P., Shikhverdiev N.N., Naumov A.B., Ul'chenko V.U. et al. Sternal wound infection elimination in cardiac surgery. Saint Petersburg; 2020 (in Russ.).
- Suleymanov B.R., Muratov R.M. Modern approaches to surgical treatment of infective endocarditis of aortic valve complicated by aortic root destruction. Russian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2012; 54 (2): 7–12 (in Russ.).
- Kokoev M.B., Mironenko V.A., Rychin S.V., Kuts E.V., Kosareva T.I., Chagrina L.V., et al. Re-interventions on the ascending aorta and aortic arch. Modern aspects. Bulletin of Bakoulev Center. Cardiovascular Diseases. 2017; 18 (S3): 27 (in Russ.).
- Mironenko V.A., Rychin S.V., Kokoev M.B., Makarenko V.N., Rybka M.M., Averina T.B. et al. Use of cryopreserved allograft in reoperations in cases of extended aortic root infection, mediastinitis and prosthetic endocarditis. Russian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2017; 59 (6): 375–85 (in Russ.).
- Solari S., Mastrobuoni S., de Kerchove L., Navarra E., Astarci P., Noirhomme P. et al. Over 20 years experience with aortic homograft in aortic valve replacement during acute infective endocarditis. Eur. J. Cardiothorac. Surg. 2016; 50 (6): 1158–64. DOI: 10.1093/EJCTS/EZW175
About the authors
- Gennadiy G. Khubulava, Dr. Med. Sci., Professor, Academicion of RAS, Chief Cardiac Surgeon of Nort West region of Russian Federation, Chief of Chair; ORCID
- Andrey S. Peleshok, Cand. Med. Sci., Cardiovascular Surgeon, Professor Assistant of Chair;
- Vladimir A. Krivopalov, Cand. Med. Sci., Cardiovascular Surgeon, Assistant of Chair;
- Maka L. Dzhgerenaya, Cardiologist, ORCID
- Mikhail S. Andreev, Cardiovascular Surgeon; ORCID