Along with heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and pulmonary hypertension are among the most significant risk factors for perioperative and early postoperative morbidity and mortality in patients with valvular and concomitant pathology. Knowledge of the pathophysiology, diagnostic capabilities and different approaches to the treatment of patients with the above risk factors for serious perioperative complications is extremely important for rational preoperative preparation of patients with valvular heart disease.
The measures of preoperative preparation of patients with valvular heart disease presented in this review are quite feasible at the preoperative stage and can improve the prognosis and the course of the early postoperative period.
- Okorokov A.N. Guidelines for the treatment of internal diseases: Treatment of diseases of the respiratory system. 3rd edn. Vol. 1. Moscow; 2008 (in Russ.).
- Chuchalin A.G. (Ed.) Pulmonology: National leadership. Brief edn. Moscow; 2014 (in Russ
- Chazova I.E., Martynyuk T.V. Pulmonary hypertension. In: Chazov E.I., Karpov U.A. (Eds) Rational pharmacotherapy for cardiovascular diseases: a guidebook for medical practitioners.
2nd edn. Moscow; 2014: 443–9 (in Russ.).
- Galie N., Hoeper M.M., Humbert M., Torbicki A., Vachiery J.-L., Barbera J.A. et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension. The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS), endorsed by the International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT). Eur. Heart J. 2009; 30: 2493–537. DOI: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehr046 Russian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2020; 62 (4) DOI: 10.24022/0236-2791-2020-62-4-264-272
- Rich S., McLaughlin V.V. Pulmonary hypertension. In: Libby P., Bonow R.O., Mann D.L., Zipes D.P. (Eds) Braunvald’s heartdisease: a textbook of cardiovascular medicine. 8th edn. Vol. 4. Moscow; 2015: 2137–72 (in Russ.).
- Raymond R., Hinderliter A., Willis P. Echocardiographic predictors of adverse outcomes in primary pulmonary hypertension. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2002; 39: 1214. DOI: 10.1016/s1062-1458(02)00790-0
- Barst R.J., McGoon M., Torbicki A., Sitbon O., Krowka M.J., Olschewski H., Gaine S. Diagnosis and differential assessment of pulmonary arterial hypertension. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2004; 43: 40S. DOI: 10.1016/j.jacc.2004.02.032
- Arcasoy S.M., Christie J.D., Ferrari V.A., Martin St., Sutton J., Zisman D.A. et al: Echocardiographic assessment of pulmonary hypertension in patients with advanced lung disease. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2003; 167: 735. DOI: 10.1164/rccm.200210-1130oc
- Lewis G.D., Shah R., Shahzad K., Camuso J.M., Pappagianopoulos P.P., Hung J. et al. Sildenafil improves exercise capacity and quality of life in patients with systolic heart failure and secondary pulmonary hypertension. Circulation. 2007; 116: 1555–62. DOI: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.716373
- Cheng D.C.H., Tirone D.E. Prognostic risks and preoperative assessment. In: Cheng D.C.H., Tirone D.E. (Eds) Preoperative care in cardiac anesthesia and surgery. 1rd edn. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006: 3–10.
About the authors
- Irma M. Tsiskaridze, Cand. Med. Sc., Senior Researcher, ORCID
- Inga Yu. Farulova, Cand. Med. Sc., Senior Researcher, ORCID
- Pavel V. Kakhktsyan, Cand. Med. Sc., Senior Researcher, ORCID